Built in 1997, Security Signal’s Somerville plant was designed for producing ordnance and pyrotechnic products for the DOD. The facility features warehouses for inbound and outbound material, energetic storage, heat room storage, assembly, office, and lab space to meet the unique requirements for ordnance production. Key capabilities include:
Security Signals is committed to supporting and serving the warfighter. We work with representatives from the military to ensure a reliable and timely product. Government customers include:
Hand Held Signals
The family of Hand-Held Signals includes parachuted and 5-element cluster signals. Both product types are used for battlefield illumination and signaling (distress, good to go, stop, etc.) among ground troop emplacements as well as to signal aircraft .Each signal consists of an illuminant assembly and a rocket propulsion assembly in a ten-inch aluminum tube. Following the simple launching procedure, the fin-stabilized rocket assembly propels to an altitude of approximately 750 feet, after which a charge ignites and expels the illuminants.
Description: Signal, Illumination, Ground, Parachute White Star
MK 79 kit includes 7 MK 80 cartridges in bandolier, 1 MK 31 projector,
and instruction card. Signals display to an altitude of 500-600 feet.
Each kit contains 7 flares and 1 launcher (see picture below)
• Flare burn time 8 seconds minimum
• Average candlepower of 2500 minimum. Estimated visibility beyond 1500 meters dependent on weather conditions
• Normal deployment of flare between 700 and 800 feet. Normal apex of burning flare is 350 meters
• Flare designed to penetrate foliage and still function properly
• Flare weight: 17.5 grams; Kit weight: 215 grams
• Flare dimensions: 0.51″ diameter x 2″ length